The School was founded by Frances Hopton, who had reached the conclusion by 1730 that education for the children of Cam "even the most humble" was of value to them and the community.
The original school room was half the house which stands in front of the present building. Additional rooms were built on in 1863 and in 1902.
The most recent extensions were completed in 1963 when the National School of Upper Cam was closed and the girls and infants joined the boys at Cam Hopton. In 1971 the current Infant accommodation was built. More recently two Elliott Medway classrooms have been erected, enabling the school to become one form entry. Finally, in 2000, the upper floor was remodelled and refurbished, creating a new entrance and re-positioning the offices at the front of the school.
Today, the endowment provided by Frances Hopton continues to support the education of the children of Cam. The Hopton Trustees are still responsible for the up keep of the School House. Although no longer the home of the Head Teacher, it is now leased to the 'Hopton School House' a registered charity, which uses the facilities to provide a Breakfast and After-School Club, Holiday Play schemes and a Playgroup. The Trustees also support the school financially, providing Governors with funds to meet commitments.
The Hopton Trustees are:
- Mrs R Levitt (Chairperson)
- Mr N Palmer (Treasurer)
- Rev’d J McKenzie
- Mr B Robson
- Mr C Farqharson-Pratt